From professional packing tips to helpful advice on moving with kids and pets, the Allied Pickfords moving house checklist can help you be ready for your upcoming move, and make sure there are no surprises.
Ask for a more complete, poster-sized checklist when you meet with your removal consultant.
For those of you that have moved to or from New Zealand before & you want to share a really useful moving tip or hint with future relocatees, please contact us. We'd love to include it in future.
In the meantime, here are some useful moving tips and checklist tasks to get you going.
Moving House Checklist - Two Weeks To Go
- If renting, advise your current landlord or agent, in writing, of your intention to move
- Advise your children’s school / kindergarten and have transfer documents sent to your new school/ kindergarten
- Collect children’s school records, immunisation certificates etc. for the new school
- Contact government agencies and notify them of your new address and date of move
- Inform your doctor, dentist and other medical specialists of your move. Collect your records or request transfer to your new practitioners
- Start notifying businesses, colleagues and service providers of your intended change of address
- Consume your supplies of frozen and perishable foods
- Confirm details with Allied Pickfords – times for pack, move, unpack, clean, details of storage, insurance etc.
- Arrange to disconnect and connect your essential services, gas, water, phone and electricity.
- Arrange Post Mail Redirection Service application to redirect your mail to your new address
- Transfer all home deliveries to new address
- Arrange childcare for your moving day if necessary
Moving House Checklist - One Week To Go
- Transfer bank accounts to a more convenient location
- Advise the tax or other government authorities as appropriate
- Repair and clean the general household
- Have a final clean-out and dispose out-of-date materials from under the kitchen sink, garage, laundry etc
- Dispose of flammables
- Drain fuel from lawn mower and other machinery
- Gather all keys from old address, get spares from family and friends
- Send e-cards to everyone with your new details
- Collect instruction books for stove, dishwasher, security system and leave for new owner
- Cancel or change local services such as lawn mowing services, newspaper deliveries etc.
- Keep a bag free with all the things you’ll need for your unpacking and cleaning. Keep a few things out for the kids on move day.
- Have your gas bottle purged
- Clean oven
- Clean out medicine cabinet
- Secure electrical items and make sure safe to move
Moving House Checklist - Move Day
- Place all suitcases and essential items you need in one specified place so they are not loaded in the removal van, eg. bathroom or car
- Set aside and carry all valuables and important papers and passports with you
- Pack your essentials in the Allied Essentials Carton, (refer to Moving Manual)
- Ensure children and pets are safe and out of harm’s way
- Turn off the gas at the meter, the electricity at the switchboard and water at the tap – make sure all cleaning is finished first
- Do a final walk through with the packing team tighten taps before you leave
- Leave a note at your old address with your forwarding address details
- Lock all doors and windows as you leave
- Test all keys and consider changing your locks
Moving House Checklist - After Delivery
- Be sure to unpack the items and, if necessary, file any insurance claim early.
- Store items that don’t fit in your new home – consider selling or donating any unwanted items
- Find where the local sports clubs, parks and social centres are, join some clubs and get involved in your new neighbourhood
- Visit the local shopping precinct and ascertain which shops are best for parking, price and convenience
- Familiarise your pets with your new home as quickly as possible, keep cats inside for at least a week and use Feliway to help cats settle
- Contact the destination office regarding the used packing cartons