So you want to move to the USA? Whether you want to experience the ‘white picket fence’ American dream, progress your career in New York, or ski the slopes and lay on the beaches in California, the USA has a world of opportunity and it is only a plane ride away.
There are 3 steps to follow when moving to the USA:
- Get organised early
- Do your research
- Use a professional mover
Making the move to the USA
As with any overseas move, a lot of planning will need to go into your move to the USA. There are always things that will pop up at the last minute that will need to be done, but you will need to do the best that you can to ensure that everything is as ready as it can be for your big move.
Choosing a home in the USA
It probably doesn’t need to be said, that the USA is a large country and incredibly diverse in its different regions. Moving to Las Angeles will not be the same as moving to Detroit. Not to mention that each state in the USA operates independently with its own laws. Think about what kind of lifestyle you want when you live in the USA, whether you want to be a short way from Canada or just a quick drive to Mexico. Decide where you would like to go by speaking to people who have been there before and, if possible, try and speak to an American, to get their opinions on the different areas of the USA. In the meantime, this article is a good start to getting an idea of what to expect from the different cities in the USA.
How to organise a move from New Zealand to the USA
When moving overseas you will need to go through a professional moving service. Allied Pickfords have been moving people around the world for over 300 years and so will be able to get you safely from New Zealand to the USA. In the leadup to your move, make a checklist of the times that need to be done, and when they need to be completed. You can have a look at our moving house checklist to get a good idea of what you will need to do in the week leading up to your move.
Working in the USA
The USA have very strict foreign worker policies so if you are not already a citizen of the United States then you will need to follow the correct processes to obtain permission to work. You will need to obtain either a green card or a valid work visa if you wish to work in the United States. Visit the US citizenship and Immigration services website here to find out more about applying to live and work in the United States.
Important tips for an international move
- De-clutter your home – In the weeks leading up to your move, go through your house and consider what you want to take with you to the USA and think about what you might be able to leave behind. When calculating the cost of your move, your move provider will take the volume of what needs to be move into account. A good way of reducing the cost of your move is to donate or sell some of your belongings prior to moving. Think of it as a ‘fresh start’ and a good opportunity to get rid of old and outdated belongings.
- Pack a survival kit – There may be a delay between when you arrive in the USA and when your belongings arrive in the USA, so your check-in luggage you should contain things that you will need to survive the first couple of weeks.
- Make sure you have a valid passport – This one may seem silly but in the chaos of an international move it can sometimes be easy to forget something as simple as making sure that your passport is valid.
- Make copies of documents – make copies of all your important documents, or make them easily accessible, this includes visa documents.
- Accommodation for your first night – Sometimes the way that things work out, you may not be able to get straight into your new home when you arrive. Make sure that you organise accommodation for when you arrive in the USA. You do not want to be leaving it to the last minute and dealing with the added stress of finding accommodation when you arrive.
Choosing the right mover
When moving internationally, choosing the right mover is paramount. Allied Pickfords are experienced international movers, with a global network extending from New Zealand to the USA and around the world, we are the movers who can get you to your new home smoothly. To get a free quote for your international move, just call us on 0800 255 433.